Session Forty Two

‘Kiergath’ connected
‘Nick’ connected
Alex: Hey there you two!
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): sec guys need a serious 5 min afk
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): yo :)
Kiergath (Alusair): za?
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): thanks for waiting
Alex: no problem.
Alex: Lets see then….
Alex: Everyone settled in?

Kiergath (Alusair): yes. Of course. I’m settled in.
Alex: Kay.
Before returning to Galen’s Island, the party erects a pyre, and sets Jesebel on it to burn, causing the entire doomguard camp to get torched in the process. Back on Galen’s Island, Jor’un leads the Doomguard back to their old fortress to rebuild. Alusair and Shenvallei head west, to a small swamp town. They run across a bounty huntress named Milyssa. They procede to follow her by boat, and confront her when she apprehends Almach. Alusair strikes a deal with the woman, and she accompanies them after setting Almach free. They procede to take a shortcut across the water to Galen’s tower. They enter, and successfully negotiate for Galen’s familiar, and promptly beat a retreat to the south, towards ruins with a strange tooth and claw marking worn into the stone infront of the ruins.
Alusair: hm.
Before you now stand the ruins, reaching up into the clouds themselves, though the higher you look, the greater the decay seems to be. Indeed, much of the ruins is destroyed, with several obstructions visible on various floors.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Inspect the stone see if I recognize the ruin at all.
Shenvallei D’ansille: marking that is.
Alusair: Visible entrance?
You do not.

Behind the stone is a half-collapsed archway that seems to give way into the old walls.
Alusair: Go through. Slowly. Keep an eye out, look around.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Follow Alusair.
You step into the ruins, and are greeted with a stone door set into the wall directly in front of you. Ivy seems to wrap around it, and a long corridor extends to your left.
Alusair: Is that map supposed to be blank, or should I wait for something to appear before I make a decision?
Shenvallei D’ansille inspects the door in front.
Alex: You can see you on it, yes?
Alusair: no
Alusair: I can’t
Alusair: theres —-ty
Alex: Sry.
Alex: Took a while to load, I wager.
Alusair: whatever.
Alusair: Like the mage said, look at the door.
It seems that a solid heave would open it.

Alusair: Solid heave, huh?
Alusair: Try not to break it or anything.
Alusair: Strength check [1d20+6 = 24]
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Ill help.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: Strength check [1d20-1 = 2]
Kiergath (Alusair): <cough>
Kiergath (Alusair): :)
Kiergath (Alusair): would you like a cure spell for that pulled muscle, boss?
Shenvallei, the door opens you.
Kiergath (Alusair): In soviet russia….
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): lol
Alusair, you put your shoulder to the grindstone, as it were, and dislodge the years of apparent disuse, swinging the door open wide.
Beyond is a room filled with urns of fetid water, near baskets of spoiled grain. A few bones are littered about, and a single copper coin rests in the center of the floor. Three doors exist for exiting.
Alex: brb…exciting food smells from downstairs, and I havent eaten all day.

Alusair: Move to inspect the coin, wherever it is.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Move to the far door inspecting and listening beyond it.
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Ah ruins. The mysteries they hold.”
Alex: Sry…DM needs to make mac and cheese, or rocks fall and you die.
Alex: Water’s been set to boil.
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): np Ill just pester Morgan
Kiergath (Alusair): Bite me you savages.
Shenvallei D’ansille: “So, any idea whats in here or are we just exploring for no damn good reason?”
The coin is ancient, and tarnished. It is of a make you have never seen before, from an empire long since lost to the ravages of time. You doubt it has any worth but to a collector, or someone who cares only for copper.

The door you inspect, Shenvallei, is wooden, and seems to not have rotted, despite being located beneath a hole in the floor above it, allowing you to see sky, and inevitably, rain clouds.
Shenvallei D’ansille: “There once was an angel named Al-u-sair.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “She told me to behave but I did-nt care.”
Shenvallei D’ansille opens the door.
Shenvallei D’ansille: “I should have listened to Al-u-sair.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Gods know what I—”
Alusair: “Mm hmm.. whatever you say.”
Alusair continues looking around after pocketing the coin, half in a daze.
GM: [2d20 = 13]
GM: [1d6 = 4]
Shenvallei – from beyond the door, a rotting arm comes swinging out at you, connecting with your head and leaving gooey strands of dead skin across your face.
Shenvallei D’ansille screams in horror and pain.
Beyond the door, a hallway, filled with rotting corpses, all of them standing, shuffling forward.

Alusair continues looking around the room, largely ignoring Shen’s activities.. “What now?”
Alex: brb
Shenvallei D’ansille: Initiative [1d20+5 = 25]
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): fyi im having trouble opening my modules any advice?

Alusair: uh… you went into the modules panel, opened them, and they’re not appearing in your library?
Shenvallei D’ansille: cant open them in the panel. there is no book there just a spiderweb and a green check
Alusair: hmm
Alusair: sounds like its saying you don’t have the books

Alex: back
Alex: Sry for the delay.
The hall before you contains, at a hurried approximation, eight creatures of undeath, in various states of decay. The first is one-armed, and is using his missing arm as a club.

Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): back
Alex: wb
Shenvallei D’ansille
Alusair: Initiative [1d20+2 = 20]
Shenvallei D’ansille: Spell [Lightning Bolt] → Electricity deals 1d6/level damage.
Shenvallei D’ansille: hit as many as I can.
Shenvallei D’ansille: [1d6 = 6]
Shenvallei D’ansille: casts as a level 12.
Shenvallei D’ansille: [10d6 = 37]
Shenvallei D’ansille: save for half.
GM: [8d20 = 77]
The hallway crackles with the smell of burnt flesh, as the bodies collapse against each other, ceasing movement. However, the hallway is currently blocked by fused corpses.

Almach Carr-ai: “…What if this whole ruin is filled with those things?”
Alusair sighs, “What things?”
Almach Carr-ai: “I can’t tell. Shenvallei just electrified a hallway.”
Alusair: “Charming.”
Shenvallei D’ansille looks at Alusair and shrugs.
Alusair: investigate the door.
Another rotted door, seemingly very easy to crack open.
Alusair: yeah?
Alusair: Boot, meet door.
Alusair: Melee attack [1d20+12 = 13]
Alusair: Melee attack [AUTOMATIC MISS]
Alusair: Moving on
Alusair: I’ll be reading my comics
Boot, meet wall.
Almach Carr-ai: “…eesh… maybe try knocking?”

Alusair: “I just did.”
Alusair: Wait five seconds for an answer. Then kick the door in, having turned an unhealthy shade of red.
Alusair: Melee attack [1d20+12 = 23]
Beyond, a short hallway, breaking into a corner.
GM: No undead here.
Alusair: “I don’t see what you’re afraid this whole place is full of.”
Alusair – another long hallway.
GM: Shenvallei, what do you do?
Shenvallei D’ansille: I try to squeeze between the corpses to continue forward thru the hallway I had just opened.

Kay! I’m zooming out.
Shenvallei – you see a small antechamber. There is a small table with two skeletons sitting at it, unmoving. Scraps of rotting cloth are bundled around them. In the center of the table is a shallow copper bowl that more closely resembles a plate.
Three doors adorn your room, and a small alcove is to the left. It looks as though it veers back to whence you came.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Take the copper plate and pocket it, inspecting it first.

It seems to have faint etchings in it, religious symbols, but none you’re familiar with.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Take it anyway.
Alex: Very well.
Shenvallei D’ansille: and search the room.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Skill [Search] [1d20+7 = 22]
You find a hidden panel which allows access to the entry room.
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Odd.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: Use it and head back to where Alusair is.

GM: You rejoin with Alusair.
Alusair: Who has conveniently been walking very, very slowly.
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Hey Al, do you recognize this at all?”
Shenvallei D’ansille shows Alusair the symbol on the plate.
Alusair takes it and looks at it.
Opening the door, you find a long dining room, with three doors to your right. A Massive stone table spans the entire hall. There is one door to your left.
Alusair: Skill [Knowledge (Religion)] [1d20+9 = 14]
Alusair: “Yeah. Its religious.”
Alusair turns back to the door.
GM: It looks familiar, but that’s the best you can do.

Alex: Unlocking tokens – fyi. Feel free to lose them at you’r leisure.
Alusair: fine
Opening the middle of the three doors exposes you to an intense blazing heat, as though you were stepping into hell itself. Closer examination revealts the heat source to be a blazing inferno in a fireplace. Closer inspection still reveals that the flame is indeed alive, and seems bound to the fireplace within the kitchen.
Alusair blinks.
Alusair: “Classy.”

Alusair: Turn back to the dining room and investigate the table.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Ill enter and search the dining room.
The table is of ornate construction, seemingly carved from one piece of unified stone. The legwork alone is astonishing. If you could find a buyer, it could easily be worth hundreds of thousands of gold, assuming you could get it out of the ruin.
The table is set with copper plates and silverware, crystaline glasses. These seem pristine, if nothing else in the room.
The only thing the room lacks are chairs.
Alusair: No surprise.. those’ll have rotted.

Alusair: stone chairs may look fancy, but they’re not really practical.
Alusair: Investigate the silverware and the plates.
Same general sigilism as the copper plate Shenvallei picked up, even on the silverware.
Alusair: “Huh..”
Alusair: “This all seems…. bah. its probably nothing.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: Assist Alusair in searching. “How so Al?”
Alusair: “This symbolism. I feel like I should know it. Like its there, in the back of my mind. I just can’t place it.”

Shenvallei D’ansille: “Hmm. Well from the looks of this place it was a pretty important symbols when this place was functional.”
Alusair: “Clearly.”
Alusair: Investigate the.. kitchen, is it?
GM: Yes.
The kitchen contains several sacks of rotted food, but otherwise is devoid of anything of note, aside from various metal implements left over from when their wooden counterparts rotted away.

Shenvallei D’ansille: “Hmm. A kitchen by the looks of it. At least parts of this ruin are recognizable.”
Alusair: “Quite so.”
GM: Do you get near the fireplace at any point during your investigations?
Alusair: Hell no, I’m not as stupid as I look
GM: Kay. Just asking.
You approach the door to the north and it falls off of it’s hinges, revealing a skeleton, swinging it’s blade at you.
GM: [1d20 = 13]
Shenvallei D’ansille: Hold a sec.
Shenvallei D’ansille: I investigate the fireplace.

GM: How close do you get to the fireplace?
Shenvallei D’ansille: Right up to it.
As you approach, you hear a low grumbling, which increases to a roar as you get nearer.
Shenvallei D’ansille: I even prod it with a fire poker.
Shenvallei D’ansille: If one is available.
GM: Very well… give me a moment to prepare something.

As you jab the fire poker into the fireplace, it turns molten red in your hand, causing you to yelp and drop it. The metal liquifies into a puddle on the floor. Backing up, clutching a scalded hand, you witness a the flame climbing out of the fireplace, taking on a form of rage , with arms , and a dimly visible face.
GM: Initiatives, please?
Shenvallei D’ansille: Initiative [1d20+5 = 14]
Alusair: Initiative [1d20+2 = 11]

GM: Slam [1d20+10 = 29]
The Fire elemental lashes out at Shenvallei, dealing a crushing blow.
GM: Slam (Damage) [2d6+2 = 7]
GM: [2d6 = 7]
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): I love elementals.
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): I cant wait till I can actually commmand them.
Alex: Good thing you pissed this one off then :P
Alex: You kind of have to survive long enough first.
Kiergath (Alusair): In the elemental planes, elementals summon you.
Shenvallei D’ansille
Kiergath (Alusair): Only you can prevent elemental magi.
Kiergath (Alusair): Say no to efreeti conjurors.
Shenvallei D’ansille: 5 foot step back. then MM.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Spell [Magic Missile] → 1d4+1 damage; 1 missile per two levels above 1st (max 5).
Shenvallei D’ansille: [1d6 = 1]
Shenvallei D’ansille: level 7
Shenvallei D’ansille: 4 missiles.
Shenvallei D’ansille: [4d4
4 = 14]
Alusair: Turn around! Look at the elemental! Draw my sword!
Alusair: One moment, considering my options.
Alusair: Fuckit, attack
Alusair: Bastard Sword 1 (Attack 1) [1d2014 = 30]

A hit! A palpable hit!
Alusair: Bastard Sword 1 (Damage) [1d1010 = 13]
Alusair: sigh
Your sword neatly nips some of the tips of the elemental’s flames off.
GM: Slam [1d20+10 = 13]
The elemental’s next swing goes wild, scorching the wall and the cieling near Alusair.
Shenvallei D’ansille
Shenvallei D’ansille: Spell [Magic Missile] → 1d4+1 damage; 1 missile per two levels above 1st (max 5).
Shenvallei D’ansille: [1d6 = 6]
Shenvallei D’ansille: L12
Shenvallei D’ansille: [5d4
5 = 15]
Alusair: God, forgive me for what I’m about to do.
Alusair: Subtract 5 from each of these rolls
Alusair: Bastard Sword 1 (Attack 1) [1d2014 = 21]
Alusair: Bastard Sword 1 (Attack 2) [1d209 = 10]
Alusair: Bastard Sword 1 (Attack 2) [AUTOMATIC MISS]
Alusair: yeah
Alusair: fuck you, dice gods
Alusair: I’m’a take my ball and go home, now. You guys are mean.
GM: 1st hits.
Alusair: even w/ -5?
GM: Nope. Sorry. Didn’t see that.
Alusair: kay
GM: Slams (attack 1) [1d20
10 = 15]
GM: Slams (attack 2) [1d20+10 = 22]

It lashes out with both arms, striking Alusair, singing her, but Shenvallei dances out of the way.
GM: Slam (Damage) [2d6+2 = 12]
GM: [2d6 = 6]
Alusair, Reflex Save?
Alusair: Reflex save [1d20+13 = 23]
You manage to remove the majority of your flammables out of the way.
Shenvallei D’ansille
Shenvallei D’ansille: Back away and do nothing.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Delay my action.
Alusair: ….
Alusair: I don’t know, I may just back off and pout.
Alusair: -5 to both
Alusair: Bastard Sword 1 (Attack 2) [1d209 = 13]
Alusair: Bastard Sword 1 (Attack 1) [1d2014 = 27]
Alusair: Sigh
Alusair: 8 and 22

GM: 22 hits.
Alusair: k…
Alusair: Add another 10 to this
Alusair: Bastard Sword 1 (Damage) [1d1010 = 12]
Alusair: what a coincidence, 22 damage too
Alusair: thank you Chris, for showing me the wonderful joy that is a two handed weapon.
Alusair: I will never play a dual wielding ranger again.
More flames scatter about.
GM: Shenvallei – action, take it or lose it.
Shenvallei D’ansille: lose it, Ive got nothing but fire spells left.
GM: Slam [1d20+10 = 20]
The fire elemental misses Alusair by fractions of a flame.
Shenvallei D’ansille
Shenvallei D’ansille: Delay.
Alusair: “…”
Alusair: Bastard Sword 1 (Attack 1) [1d2014 = 19]
Alusair: Bastard Sword 1 (Attack 2) [1d209 = 12]
Alusair: no minus.
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): ugh
GM: A hit.

Alusair: Bastard Sword 1 (Damage) [1d1010 = 15]
More flames get nipped off. Shen?
Shenvallei D’ansille: End.
Shenvallei D’ansille: sec.
Shenvallei D’ansille: can I take that back?
Shenvallei D’ansille: I have an idea.
GM: Only because I wasn’t finished typing yet.
Shenvallei D’ansille: I pull out my bottle of endless oceans.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Brace my back against the wall.
Shenvallei D’ansille: point it at the elemental.
Shenvallei D’ansille: and unstop the cork.
Alusair: is it a free action to dive for cover?
Roll a to hit, modified by str.
Alusair: by which I mean, onto a table – not prone on the floor.
GM: For you, sure. You can dive into the wooden door behind you, free of charge.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Standard Attack (Attack 1) [1d20+2 = 15]
GM: Tables have long since disintigrated.
GM: Do you dive, Alusair?
Alusair: Sod that.
Alusair: I’ll just settle for an agonizing scream of “Oh, shi——” before the splashing starts.

Water bursts forth from the bottle, causing severe pain to Shenvallei as the bottle presses him into the wall with tremendous force. The Fire elemental prevails for a minute, but eventually evaporates into a puff of steam.
Unfortunately, the bottle is still uncorked, and slowly filling the room with water. In the distance, you hear the slow crackle of thunder, and the patter of raindrops. The roof, as well, seems to be leaking.
Alusair: “….”
Shenvallei D’ansille: Try to cork the bottle.
Alusair: Splash over to try and help. Come in at an angle.
Str check.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Strength check [1d20-1 = 17]
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): flex
You manage to get it corked before Alusair comes in.
Alusair: “Huh. I’m impressed.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: Stow the bottle.
Alusair: “Soaked, but impressed.”
Alusair: Walk back to the door I was about to open.
Shenvallei D’ansille regards Alusair and her soakedness.

Shenvallei D’ansille smiles wryly.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Ill search the fireplace now.
You get back to the door. Beneath, you can see bits of rags floating in the water under the door.
You find – a treasure chest! It sparkles and glitters!
Shenvallei D’ansille: Take it.
GM: I lied.
GM: It’s empty.
GM: It’s a fireplace.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Lame.
GM: Not even any soot, or a chimney.
Shenvallei D’ansille sighs then heads over to Alusair.
Alusair: Open… the door.
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Hey Al, where did Almach and Mil go?”
Alusair: “Dunno..”
You open the door. Beyond, metal racks are bolted into the walls, with hooks hanging from them. It appears to be some sort of cloak depository. There is a door to your left, and to your right.

Alusair: Left door.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Ill do a quick search of the cloak room.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Skill [Search] [1d20+7 = 10]
You see…water!
The left door leads to a long corridor, the end of which is bone dry, despite the water leaking in from the cieling.
A rumble of thunder from overhead.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Follow Alusair.
GM: Another door ahead of you.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Listen at the door.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Skill [Listen] [1d20 = 16]
Alusair: Whats the door made of?
Alusair: Rotten? Solid?
You listen ahead… There’s a sound of muted, raspy breathing ahead.
Shenvallei D’ansille whispers to Alusair, “Al… hear that? Breathing.”
Alusair: “What?”
Alusair: Skill [Listen] [1d20+5 = 6]
Alusair: “Whatever.”
Alusair: Open the door.

Kiergath (Alusair): I love how bad rolls always coincide most often with Al’s bad moods. Can angels PMS? Apparently.
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): lol
Kiergath (Alusair): afk. brb.
You open the door… Beyond, an altar, adorned with the claws of various creatures. Knelt before it, a figure in a red robe, chanting quietly to himself, sitting on a bench that very obviously doesn’t go with the altar.
For the moment, your presence has gone unnoticed.
Alusair stands there in the doorway, leaning against the frame with her arms folded across her chest. After a few minutes, she clears her throat just loudly enough to be heard.

The figure turns around with lightning speed, revealing a face of retched pallor, sharpened teeth, and bloodshot eyes. His fingers have been filed to points, as have his teeth. “Who dares violate my citadel?!”
Alusair: “Hmm… That would be me, mostly. if you ask me, though, your citadel was pretty violated to begin with.”
Alusair: “Thoroughly raped by.. well.. time, the elements, and one bored Prime with a water bottle. Unless you like to count that as the elements.”
Shenvallei D’ansille squeezes into the room behind Alusair.
Shenvallei D’ansille: “What did I miss?”
Alusair: “I think we have a new friend!”
Shenvallei D’ansille: Is the creature human looking?

Shenvallei D’ansille: “He looks like a Xaochsist. Or however you pronounce it.”
Alusair: “Xaositect. But I don’t think thats what we have here.”
Alusair: “For future reference, its pronounced how it’s spelled. Kay-oss-i-tekt.”
Alusair: “Seriosly though, who are you? I’m getting kind’ve sick of always having to introduce myself first.”
Alusair: “Whenever I introduce myself first, I end up having to kill the person I’m meeting. But if they give their name first, it usually goes better.”
GM: “I am he who safeguards the temple of Blood. All who would worship must give their blood to the altar to show their devotion.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Even with your proud tradition of interfering?”
Alusair: “Would you prefer I’d let you go with that Baatezu, back in Sigil? Seriously, I’ve never seen anyone fall for the ‘Want some spellbooks, little boy?’ routine.”

Alusair: "I’ll grant he was convinci—-wait, temple of Blood? What kind of god personifies himself as just “blood”?“
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): Khorne lol
Kiergath (Alusair): yeah, I know.
”Do you not bleed, angel?"
Alusair: “Frequently. Right now I’m mostly just a little bit scorched.”
“What greater name for a god than that which is shared across all of His Creation. I sense he flows through you, and that you have yet to tap into the richness of his power.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “It always puts me off when someone is able to determine your heritage with a glance and I had thought you were an elf for nearly a month.”
Alusair: “….”
Alusair: “Quite. Sorry, Shen. Don’t feel too bad, most people can’t tell – we’re just running into an awful lot of the minority lately for some reason, and its really starting to irk me.”
Alusair: "So, a god named Blood, who claims to have “created” all things. Do I get this right so far?“
”All things living exist by his Will."
Alusair: “Yeah. Thats what I thought. You wouldn’t happen to have heard of Oengam, would you? Your god and he could learn a lot from each other I think.”
Alusair: “But mostly I think they would just go in a corner and sod each other.”

“Oengam? Do you preach to me of false gods? Here? In HIS temple?”
Con Check.
Alusair: Constitution check [1d20 = 3]
Alusair: ….
Alusair: Oh, thats just grand.
Alusair: You would make me roll my dump stat.
Alusair: :P
You find yourself writhing in pain, as though your blood were boiling itself inside your veins. The pain finally abates when you drop to your knees.
Alex: Well, yes.
Shenvallei D’ansille: “What is your god’s name devouted one?”

“You will know him by the color of that which runs through your feeble heart. His name is too great for us to comprehend, but his Blood runs through us all.”
Alusair: “Yeah. So who did you steal this place from?”
Alex: brbafk…phone
Alusair stands up finally, slightly pale but not looking particularly worse for wear.

Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): gonna head out. You mind if we pause here?
Alex: Sure thing.

Kiergath (Alusair): Sorry, were you waiting for my consent?
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): talk to you later Im getting pingponged here.
‘Nick’ disconnected
Alusair: I wanted to use it while nick was being a douche and listening at my door.
Alusair: But it was in good shape.
Alusair: BEHOLD
Alusair: Skill [Open Door—oh wait, look, this is a strength check! <punt>] [1d20+6 = 8]
Kiergath (Alusair): Thanks, that’ll be all.

Return to Gaming Sessions

Session Forty Two

Planescape Campaign RaseCidraen Kiergath