Session Forty

‘Kiergath’ connected
Alusair: no portraits of course.
Kiergath (Alusair): lol
GM: I still see them
Alex: Which means you should eventually
Alusair: THERE it is

‘Nick’ connected
Shenvallei D’ansille: Hola!
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): hola…

Kiergath (Alusair): o, hai
Alex: Harro!
Alex: How is everyone doing today?
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): not bad
Kiergath (Alusair): I"m just fucking peachy, how are you?
Alex: Wonderful!
Alex: Now that we’ve gotten that out of the way…
GM: A Recap!
Alusair and Shenvallei approach the Doomguard fortress, and are greeted by a medic, of sorts, Jor’un. Alusair heals their wounded, and sets in motion the curing of all the ills in the fortress. Shenvallei uncovers a map of the island. They befirend the medic, and Shenvallei sets off to deliver a list of demands to the Doomguard to the Merchant Coalition. He upsets some lizardfolk, and is ambushed by them, barely escaping. He holes up in the Doomguard fortress, which is then laid siege to. Alusair destroys a catapult, and then rallys the troops to combat the humans. The group retreats to the fortress, and the Doomguard sends for off-plane reinforcements.
Shenvallei D’ansille: So, we are currently in the fortress yes?
Alex: Yes.
Kiergath (Alusair): lovely.

Alex: …did I really make a typo? damnit.
Shenvallei D’ansille: I will rest, meditate, and rememorize before doing anything else.
Very well… the party spends another day recuperating in the castle.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Resetting Wizard Powers
Alusair: go back to helping with the wounded.
The wounded are well taken care for… the fortress, as a whole, seems to be much brighter than before.
Alusair: I’m doing terrible things to these doomguard
Alusair: they’re starting to seem cheerful
Alex: Yes, in fact. Most of the fortress is almost…jovial.

The morning is rather uneventful, although the food brought to you is very good.
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Good food is never a bad thing aye Al?”
Alusair: “Somewhat.. unexpected given the circumstances, though.”
Shenvallei D’ansille nods.
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Perhaps you can convert them.”
Shenvallei D’ansille chuckles to himself.
Alusair: “Yes.. of course..”
GM: What do the two of you do during the day?

Shenvallei D’ansille: After eating and studying, I try to assist Alusair with any tasks she may have.
Alusair: mostly just drifting around wherever they seem to need a hand
Shenvallei D’ansille: I know I am not a healer but Ill do what I can. I know we also have to deliver the list of demands to the merchant coalition but going of on my own didnt work so well last time so for now Im hanging back.
Shenvallei D’ansille: off
Alusair: Why bother delivering the demands? They won’t meet them
Alusair: After all, they aren’t likely to think they’re in any threat of losing..
Alusair: and the winners in a conflict rarely grant concessions
Shenvallei D’ansille: I dont know, they suffered a pretty hefty loss in their recent attack. Mainly from your lightning bolt.
Alusair: My lightning bolt destroyed a catapult and killed half a dozen people.
Alusair: They suffered a defeat, certainly, but I think they broke and ran before the casualties could mount
Shenvallei D’ansille: Probably saved the fortress as well you did.
Shenvallei D’ansille: At any rate it doesnt matter to me. Im here to find a mage and steal his dragonling thats all I know.

Shenvallei D’ansille: This is the prime, not quite sure if you are intrigued or disgusted by it. Its hard to read your thoughts sometimes.
Kiergath (Alusair): I suspect all of this should actually be in quotes, huh.
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): lol yeah
Alusair: “I’m intrigued by it much the way you would be by visiting a particularly inspired zoo, I suspect.”
Alusair: “Its fascinating until the exhibits start flinging things at you, and then it just becomes annoying.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: Alex, what was the name of the mage I am seeking?
Kiergath (Alusair): FLANNIGAN!
Kiergath (Alusair): Finnigan?
The Archmagus Galen.
Shenvallei D’ansille: “I still have no idea how Im going to just waltz into an archmages tower and steal his dragonling.”
Alusair: “Try a polka instead?”

Shenvallei D’ansille: “What a task Ive been given… these ‘takers’ or whatever they are called are as batty as any others Ive met.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: "Hmm where is his keep anyway…. " I pull out the map.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Alex is Galen’s keep on the map?
Alex: Sec. Loading the map for the party.
Alusair: oh mother
Shenvallei D’ansille: did that eat your comp?
Alusair: just my desktop
Alusair: there we go
Alusair: ty
Alex: Np.
Alusair: pissy resolution here
Alusair: lol
Alex: sry
Alex: The words “Galen’s Keep” do not appear on the map.
Alusair: maybe its that tower on the eastern coast
Alusair: that is a tower, right?
Shenvallei D’ansille: I think thats us.
Alusair: thar
Alusair: we’re up under shen’s ugly mug
Alex: You are at Shenvallei.
Alusair: :P
Shenvallei D’ansille: yes thats east
Alusair: ….
Alusair: right
Alusair: your other east
Alusair: :P
GM: …I suppose, if you KEPT going east…
GM: Assuming a round world…
Alusair: …..
Alusair: YES, DAMNIT
GM: So yes
GM: The eastern-ish coast.
Alusair: YOu’re speaking to the only person who, on being assigned to the OSTfront, dug in at normandy and never saw russia
GM: lol
Alusair: now shut up, we know I get my west and my east mixed up
GM: Yeah we do.

Alex: …then again, I get my east ant northeast messed up too
Alex: Anyhow, you both were discussing something?
Alusair: mister “Oh, sorry, I left your engineer at the wrong island”
Alex: SRY!
Shenvallei D’ansille: Im trying to remember if I queried those at the fortress here about Galen.
Alusair: I recall them not knowing much
Shenvallei D’ansille: Right. and I think my questioning at that village to the WEST was met with utter hostility.
Alusair: ….
Alex: I think that’s east, but yes.
Alex: :p
Alusair: you need to learn how to question people
Alusair: :P
Alusair: some folks don’t like their dinner being interrupted by clueless elves
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Some dont, but I wouldnt have minded so I figured they wouldnt either.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Guess thats why they are farmers and I am a capable mage.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: Spell [Prestidigitation] → Performs minor tricks.
Shenvallei D’ansille: (Sparks out of my hand)
Shenvallei – Sparks fly out of your hand, and a giant explosion rocks the fortress. Screams of pain and agony echo throughout the gatehouse, reaching the mealhouse where you are.

GM: Dex checks
Shenvallei D’ansille: Dexterity check [1d20+5 = 15]
Alusair: “….”
Alusair: Dexterity check [1d20+2 = 16]
Kiergath (Alusair): I go to take a piss and you blow up the fortress, great.
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Gods! what did I do?”
Alusair: “Capable mage, eh? Sodding…”
Alusair: Run off to the gatehouse
Shenvallei D’ansille: follow, assuming we werent knocked down
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): afk 5 bio
Alex: You weren’t knocked down.
You arrive at what was the gatehouse. It’s now a pile of rubble in the open air… body parts lay strewn about carelessly, as if left behind by a little boy. Through the gap, you catch a glimpse of a mighty battle line. Behind the tents, you catch glimpses of catapuls, trebuchets, and an odd looking ballista.
You catch a lot of movement and cheering around the ballista.

Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): back and oh shit
Shenvallei D’ansille: Distance to the battle line?
A thousand feet.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Rough count of the assaluting force?
How educated are you?
Shenvallei D’ansille: Intelligence check [1d20+5 = 25]
Alusair: nice roll

GM: 40,000 Combatants, 10,000 Noncombatants, women and children, 2,000 service personalle, 400 Wagon trains.
Five Catapults, Three Trebuchets, And three Ballista.
Shenvallei D’ansille: And one odd looking ballista or is that 3 odd looking ones?
Alusair: “Might be a good time to consider asking for terms.”
1 odd looking one, 3 Regular.
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Agreed.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: Is Jo’run nearby?
Yes. He’s looking in shock at all the people he can’t save.

Shenvallei D’ansille: “Jo’run. A choice must be made. Will we fight this hopeless battle or surrender and pray for leiniancy (sp?). I will ride out to negotiate with them if you will it.”
Alusair: “More importantly, do you lovely sods have a portal to somewhere, you know, safe, in this kip?”
Jor’un: “…I’m no warrior… I can’t fight… we’re lost… we’ve got no reinforcements… the Doomguard, they say this is a minor threat… they’re busy dealing with something else… If you go out there, you’ll be butchered, just like these men… damnit!”
Jor’un: “There is a safe place here, but… we can’t take everyone.”
Alusair: “. . . .”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Sometimes the best one can do is save who they can and let fate take the rest.”
Jor’un opens his mouth to speak, just before another explosion tears into the far wall, obliterating the fifty soldiers who had gathered to attempt to save some of the wounded, demolishing more of the wall.
Jor’un is thrown past both of you into the fortress, but seems largely unharmed.

Alusair: “For sod’s sake, get these men outta here!”
Jor’un: “You don’t understand!”
Jor’un pulls himself up.
Jor’un: “We can save FOUR PEOPLE. The portal to leave is beyond the army! The only thing we have is a small fishing boat!”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Lets go to the boat then, quickly, it may be our only chance Jor’un!”
Alusair: “….”
Alusair: “How many men do you have here, Jor’un? I’d like to know how many lives Shen would like to sentence to death.”
Jor’un: “At the time of the attack, there were five thousand souls here.. goddess knows it’s many fewer now.”

Shenvallei D’ansille: “Oh? back to our moral highness are we Al? If you have a plan to save these men I am listening!”
Alusair: “Five thousand, less casualties.. if they didn’t have that artillery we could’ve held.”
Jor’un: “But there’s nothing we can do about their weaponry, aside from pray they show us mercy.”
Alusair: “On that joyful note, I’d suggest you get your men under such cover as can be found – anything is better than standing here in the open.”
Alusair: “I’d also suggest you find me a white flag to run up on a tower, if I can find one standing.”
Jor’un strips his smock off, throwing it to you before running across the open gatehouse. The moment he makes it to the other side, another explosion rips through another section of the fortress, obscuring the gatehouse with debris.

Shenvallei D’ansille: I head for the tower.
Alusair: Get to the highest point still standing and start waving the sodding thing around
GM: You do so…
You hear jeering and laughter from the lines… cries from below.
Shenvallei D’ansille: To clarify my postion, Im not in the tower, just standing behind it so it is between me and the encroaching army.
GM: Mmkay.
Alusair: Any sign of response from the siege lines?
Alusair: …other than shifting their aim for my footing
The ballista fires again, destroying the remainder of the front of the fort.

One of the regular ballistae fires at your position, but the shot goes terribly wide.
Alusair: “Yeah.. this isn’t getting me anywhere.”
Alusair turns a rueful glance upwards, “Do you regularly reveal yourself to those who’re irrevocably piked?” She turns away and leaps back down into the courtyard.
Alusair: Glide over to where-ever Jor’un seems to be.
You find him – He is, oddly enough, dealing with a halberd shaft that managed to impale his shoulder. “Did it work?”
Alusair: “What do you think?”
Alusair: “I think I’m going to go have a talk with that artillery.”
Jor’un: “…you’ll have to let me know how that goes…”
Alusair: “Hopefully I’ll be able to, eh?”

So you sally forth?
Alusair: patience is a virtue
Patience is a girl’s name.
Shenvallei D’ansille approaches Alusair and Jo’run.
Shenvallei D’ansille: “There may be a slight chance that, well the troops are just illusions to force our surrender by sheer numbers and that only some of the artillery is real. Sadly that would mean they have a high order mage or magic item with them. Either way, going out there is near suicide Al.”
Alusair: “So it is.”

Kiergath (Alusair): oh.. is it a different day from the last attack?
Alex: Yes.
Kiergath (Alusair): neat
Kiergath (Alusair): k
Kiergath (Alusair): Barring any more constructive advise from the peanut gallery..
Jor’un: “To stay here is to die. There is no good choice here.”
Alusair: “True.. so is to attack.”
Alusair: “But at least I die with my sword in my hand.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Then we leave! And fight another day!”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “There is no shame in recognizing when you are outmatched.”
Alusair: “Jor’un, I believe what Shenvallei is saying is he wants one of your men to take him to the boat you mentioned.”

Shenvallei D’ansille: “As if there is another course of action that ends in our possible survival?”
Jor’un: “Very well… Hoyle, take Shenvallei to the boat… Shenvallei, choose two others who will live.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “You and Alusair. It is my choice. Now come.”
Jor’un: “I can’t.. my duty is here, serving these men… I can’t give up on them like that.”
Alusair: “And I suspect my goddess would look ill on my abandoning another to whom she is revealed.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “What is the name of your goddess?”
Shenvallei D’ansille: Has the encroaching army stopped its artillery since Alusair’s flag waving?
GM: There have been at least three more strikes.

Alusair: “Meryt.. if the name means anything. I doubt it would. Religious, you’ve never struck me as being.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “To stay here is death. If you choose duty over life then that is your fate. Come with me and there will be others who serve Meryt who rely on your survival. Let these men die fighting, but let us live to another day!”
Jor’un: “Wait… others serve Meryt now? I had only known of her champion, and myself.”

Alusair: “I applaud your efforts, Shen.. by now, they’ll be thinking they’ve eliminated most of the remaining resistance.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “I have no idea, but the multiverse is quite large. We dont have time to be discussing this. Can you not hear the explosions?”
Jor’un: “…my hearing has been somewhat muted since the attack began… I can hardly hear you as it is.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “So, your resolve to stay is absolute then?”
Alusair: “Stay? What kind’ve daft fool do you take me for? No, I’m going out there.”
Jor’un: “They’ve stopped shooting, at least…”

Alusair: “Eh?”
Alusair: “Interesting.”
Jor’un: “…or my ears have gone. One or the other.”
Alusair: “No, no. you’re right, the shrapnel’s stopped too.”
Alusair: Hand him back his apron, “You might find a pole for that to wave it around on.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Foot soldiers are likely en route to ‘mop up’”
Jor’un tears the pike out of his shoulder. “Will this do?”
Alusair: “Perfect, it has alot of feeling behind it.”
Alusair: Spell [Cure Light Wounds] → Cures 1d8 damage 1/level (max +5).
Alusair: [1d8
5 = 8]
Alusair: w/e.
He looks somewhat better.
Alusair: Tie the apron to the shaft, “Right, here we go again.”
Alusair: “You there, Hoyle was it? Shen’s obviously having second thoughts, be a good lad and carry this, you’re taller than I am.”
Hoyle, standing at a tall, lanky 4’5", grabs the makeshift flag from you proudly.
Alusair: “…I obviously mean in spirit.”
Alusair: “Jor’un, you seem to be in charge here, you’ve ever right to come as well, if they agree to talk.”
Alusair: every*

Jor’un: “Hoyle, Meryt will watch over you. Don’t worry. You’ll get out of this alive.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: I follow silently.
Alusair: head to the.. uh..
Alusair: rubble of the gatehouse.
Alusair: :P
You arrive at the rubble, Jor’un and Hoyle in tow. Halfway between the siege line and the ruined keep wait a company of armored knights, with two attending robed figures, and a woman, standing in the center of them, seeming very full of herself.
Alusair: “Charming..”
Shenvallei D’ansille: how many in the company and how far apart are they?
Alusair: Approach them.
GM: There are a good twenty people there, excluding the woman.
You draw close.
GM: Spot checks
Alusair: Skill [Spot] [1d20+5 = 22]
Shenvallei D’ansille: Skill [Spot] [1d20+2 = 8]
Kiergath (Alusair): …I declare this my D&D comp, I actually roll well here.
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): so far
Kiergath (Alusair): silence
Kiergath (Alusair): :P
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): :)

Alusair pauses about 15-20 feet away.
Knight: “What do you scum want?”
Alusair: “For underlings to hold their tongues while their betters speak would be a start.. unless you claim to be in charge of this mob, which I somehow doubt.”
Shenvallei D’ansille holds in a chuckle
A coy smile plays across the woman’s lips.
GM: Shenvallei, spot check.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Skill [Spot] [1d20+2 = 12]

From this distance, you recognize that familiar smile.
Alusair kicks her sword forward on her belt with a sigh, planting the scabbard against the dirt and leaning against the pommel.
Jesebel: “Why, the pitiful one and his consort… what an unpleasant suprise to see you both here.”
Alusair: “The feeling, I assure you, is mutual.”
Alusair: “I foresee it boding poorly for negotiations, as well. A shame, I was hoping to avoid further bloodshed.”
Jesebel: “You seek to barter on behalf of these piddling fools? How sweet… you always did have a big heart, Alusair.”
Alusair: “Such a shame I could only have one at a time, no? Alas, we all have our faults.”
Jesebel: “Yes, yes you both do… very well, what do you have to offer to spare these people?”

Alusair: “You speak as if you have nothing better to do than take losses clearing cornered soldiers out of rubble.”
Alusair: “Let these men withdraw, the Doomguard has no interest in this place. Chances you’ll face any of them again are hardly high.”
Alusair: “Hells, I’m not sure why you don’t try to recruit the sodding Sinkers as it is.”
Alusair: “You pikes would probably get along smashingly.”
Jesebel: “Oh, we have no intention of entering the rubble… we’d happily slaughter them from without until not a speck of them remains, but I suppose you do speak sense of letting them walk…”
Jesebel: “Imagine that… sense from the angel… but no word from the elf. Truly, a woefully….pitiful…occasion…”

Shenvallei D’ansille stares at Jesebel, his face expressionless.
Alusair: “I speak sense more than you seemed to realize, if you tried listening to it. We have our personal grievances and I suspect they’ll continue on for quite some time.. but they do not involve these people.”
Jesebel: “Very well. You have an hour to vacate this plane. If the Doomguard do not leave, we will hunt them down and slaughter them to a man.”
Alusair: “We have your guarantee on safe passage to the portal?”
Jesebel: “Oh, sure, why not. I’ll be sporting.”
Jesebel: “After that hour, we destroy that fortress and dump it into the sea.”

Alusair: “As you will.. the stone is meaningless to me.”
Alusair: Wave Jor’un back to the fortress, I suspect he has alot of things to do and not much time to do it in
Jesebel: “To you, of course.”
Jor’un glares at you, offended, and he runs off, as best he can.
Alusair: “Very well.. I guess this concludes our business yet again, does it not?”
Jesebel: “It does. You have one hour. Tarry not, if you value your lives.”
Alusair: “Shen, if you have anything to say, I suggest you do so, but I can’t exactly protect you behind the shield of diplomacy.”
Shenvallei D’ansille shakes his head slowly.
Alusair kicks her sword back to her side, bows slightly to the enemy delegation and turns on her heel before jogging back to the fort.

Shenvallei D’ansille walks backwards a few steps, then turns and follows.
Alusair: …if Hoyle isn’t quick enough, drag him along.
He doesn’t get dragged.
By the time you arrive at the demolished gatehouse, people are lining up to make the long walk to the enemy lines.
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Al, I hope you know that she has no intention of keeping her word.”
Alusair: “And if she does not, at least I know I tried to save these people, rather than turning tail and fleeing in a fishing boat!”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Can we put the arguing aside for one piking minute and figure out what we are going to do?”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “These men will march out, and be slaughtered by either artillery or armed soldier. We have one hour to come up with a plan.”
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): afk morte

Alusair: “Jor’un! How many people are still on their feet and able to fight, if need-be?”
Jor’un: “A thousand… five hundred wounded.”
Alusair: “If they decide to hit us, it’ll be after we’re largely past their lines so they can strike the rear of the column, in all likelihood – agree?”
Jor’un: “Makes the most sense to me, if they let us make it to their lines.”
Alusair: “If they don’t, there’s not a gods-damned thing I can do about it.”
Alusair: “The woman is no fool, even if she is vain. If she believed a word I said, I doubt she’d go out of her way to slaughter us.”
Alusair: “Converts are more valuable than corpses.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “I have a plan.”
Jor’un: “…I can’t believe you’d even think us, think me, even for a second, anywhere similar to them.”
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): stand by bio now

Alusair: “I say a great many things I don’t necessarily believe.”
Alusair: “Although your reaction and visible disgust may have helped make me seem more sincere.”
Jor’un: “…very well.. this would be an offense inexcuable, but you are my sister through Meryt, so I will forgive you this gladly.”

Shenvallei D’ansille: “Hear me out and then I leave this to your wisdom.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “During the next hour half of the men prepare for the retreat to the portal, the other half take up defensive positions within the rubble here. After a half hour we begin to send small groups of men in 5 minute intervals for the portal.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “The first group will have us in it. We will be disguised as soldiers.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “If they turn their attack upon us we can do what we can to destroy the artillery. And the remaining men can fall back for a last stand.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Should the disguise work, we may be able to catch them off guard and give your men a fighting chance.”

Shenvallei D’ansille: “And if they somehow let us through, which they wont, but if they do, we will find safety beyond.”
Jor’un: “…so we leave half the men to die, instead of all of them. This still leaves a bad taste in my mouth.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “No, if they let us through, then the ones taking up defensive positions will depart as well in small groups. Hells if we are fast enough to prepare the evacuation we can begin in 10 minutes.”
Alusair: “Can I suggest we just DO IT? We’re running out of time.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Fifteen hundred men in 5 minute intervals is approx 125 men per group. We can lead the first group.”
Alusair: “Shen, theres a problem here.”
Alusair: “Doesn’t that leave some of the men leaving in an hour, when they will be cut to ribbons and rightfully so?”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “How far is the portal by foot in time?”

Jor’un: “That portal’s half an hour away.”
Jor’un: “For some of the wounded, it’s going to take longer.”
Alusair: “Right, all or nothing.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Right…”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Then have the men spread wide on the march and pray to your Goddess.”
Alusair: “…We’ll want enough able fighters in the rear to act as a rear guard in the event of treachery.. I’ll probably be there as well.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Ill take the front.”
Very well… you gather the Doomguard and depart?
Shenvallei D’ansille: Yes.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Spell [Mage Armor] → Gives subject +4 armor bonus.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Spell [Disguise Self] → Changes your appearance.

Shenvallei D’ansille: (Doomguard soldier)
You do so… you get near the siege line. and see that there is a narrow opening, perhaps four wide, to pass through the siege line.
Jesebel is standing there, arms crossed, dagger drawn.
The army seems to be lining the corridor they want you to be walking down.
Shenvallei D’ansille: I am carrying a white flag.
Shenvallei D’ansille: And slow my pace as I approach the corridor. Then slowly enter heading for the portal that Jo’run would have told me where it is.“
Shenvallei D’ansille: -”
Nick – Jesebel beams a warm smile at you, and you feel your heart flutter slightly.
Jor’un’s walking with you, supporting some wounded soldiers.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Say nothing and continue.
Shenvallei D’ansille: I am looking around however for anything out of place.
You feel…better than before…
Jor’un actually looks at you and he doesn’t look like he pities you anymore.
Alusair: We’ve been betrayed! Shen’s a plant! KILL
Alusair: EM ALL

Alusair: joke, joke, shhh
GM: The column walks through…
When you get to the end of the army, they begin marching with you, side by side…
Shenvallei D’ansille: I whisper to Jo’run, “How much farther?”
Alusair, the army circles around the back, encasing you.
Jor’un: “Probably two miles…lot of things can happen between here and there…”
Shenvallei D’ansille: At the front of the line are there still enemy soldiers in front of me as well?
Shenvallei D’ansille: So we are completely surrounded?
Jor’un: “I don’t like this…”
Shenvallei D’ansille: How many deep are in front of us?
Four deep.
Three on the sides.

Six in the back.
A mile goes by – You can see the place where you entered the plane…
Shenvallei – There is a small army wielding crossbows, in black armor, standing in formation around the portal.
Shenvallei D’ansille: “This is not an escort.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “This is a death march.”
Jor’un: “We are to die then? You are sure?”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Nearly positive.”
Jor’un: “Best to die without sin on your hands, then… should we stop the march so you can be Shriven, to die without sin on your soul?”

Shenvallei D’ansille: “I dont intend to die here and now.”
Jor’un: “If it is a death march, then what choice do we have but to die… I am at peace with Meryt… she can offer you comfort as well, if you need it.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “When I give the word, sprint for the portal.”
Jor’un: “…Through the mass of bodies? I’m in no shape to sprint… I’m supporting a man who can’t walk.”
You draw within 200 Yards of the Portal.
Shenvallei D’ansille: I stop and let the other soldiers go by holding the flag as if I am the last to go.

mmkay…You somehow…stop…in the middle of a packed march…at the front….got it…
Shenvallei D’ansille: packed that tight aye?
Shenvallei D’ansille: Ok then. No choice. Continue on.
You continue on.
The body of soldiers at the portal open up and point their crossbows at the approaching line, allowing room for two people at a time to access the portal.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Let Jo’run and his wounded go first.
The first to go through the portal – a line of the escorts. Next – Jor’un and his wounded. You manage to step aside right before the portal.

More of the captives are shoved through the portal. Alusair, you finally can see it…there are only a handful of people remaining.
Alusair: Have all of the escort been going with?
No – Just a line of the escorts… the remainder has stopped a while before, keeping their distance from the crossbows.
Alusair: Do not go through until everyone else is.
You do so… the only one’s remaining are the guard of crossbowmen, Shenvallei, you, and standing some ways off, Jesebel, halfway between the two forces.
The guard that went through the portal comes back and flanks Jesebel, swords sheathed.
Shenvallei D’ansille: How many crossbowmen?
Alusair: Bow in Jesebel’s direction, and look for someone who looks like an officer among the crossbowmen
You find one.

Alusair: Salute him, then hug him
Alusair: “I’ve never been as happy to see one of you sods in my life as I am right now.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: I look at the crossbowman confused.
Alusair: “They’re bloody Sinkers, you wonderful, adorable Clueless!”
“Go on… get through the portal. We’ll make sure you get through safe.”
Alusair: “What about you sods?”
“We’ll be right after you.”
Alusair: “I’ve heard that before.”
Alusair: “Sorry mate, we were given an hour to get every Doomguard off this plane, I’m last if I have to step through the same sodding time you do.”
Alusair: “Wouldn’t be right me being off-world and some of you still being in the firing line.”
“Alright…” His voice drops really low. “How fast can you run?”
Alusair grins, “Depends, whats behind me?”

“…would you believe an army? Honestly, I’d be more worried about what’s through the portal…”
Alusair: “Right, pretty quick. But what’s the hold up?”
Alusair: “And whats through that portal? We came here from the Cage.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Portals can be altered.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “And since we arent sinkers, we dont really have to leave.”
Alusair: “You honestly think she’ll let us walk?”
Alusair: “Because I don’t.”
GM: “…in case you haven’t noticed, they’ve got weapons drawn, and they’re coming this way.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “She let us walk this far.”
Alusair: “So why’re you sods standing here? Get going!”
GM: “
”…You don’t want me to step through that portal before you."
Alusair: “Oh. So we’re going to have a bit of fun after all?”
GM: “..what, we came all this way just to leave?”
Alusair: “I think I’m in love.”
Alusair draws her sword

GM: Right.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Initiative [1d20+5 = 20]
Alusair: “If it becomes an issue.. that cute little girl out there’s mine.”
Alusair: Initiative [1d20+2 = 12]
“Aw damn… and I was thinking about putting one in her skull first..”
GM: [30d20 = 346]
Alusair: “Go ahead, I doubt it’ll stop her.”
A hail of crossbow bolts lance into the army that brought you here.
Shenvallei D’ansille
Shenvallei D’ansille: Target – largest group of opposing army within range.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Mechanism – Maximized Fireball
Shenvallei D’ansille: Spell [Fireball] → Fire deals 1d6/level damage
Shenvallei D’ansille: [1d6 = 4]
Shenvallei D’ansille: Casts as a level 10
Shenvallei D’ansille: 60 damage save for half
You scorch a large number of troops.
Alusair: sorry
Alusair: called out of the room
Alex: np
Alusair: w/e

Alusair: I got nothing, they’re not close enough
GM: Right.
GM: [12d20 = 119]
The opposing army charges.
Alusair: honestly, man
GM: [1d20 = 19]
Alusair: unless they’re alot closer than I think
Alusair: lol
GM: What?
GM: They aren’t.
Alusair: if they’re in charging range…
GM: Those weren’t that army.
GM: :P
Alusair: hmm
Alusair: kay
GM: Can I get reflex from you all?
Alusair: no
Shenvallei D’ansille: Reflex save [1d20+9 = 22]
Alusair: Reflex save [1d20+13 = 23]
Shenvallei – You see a fireball fling into the center of the portal, going off with concussive force. You dive out of the way, but the flames still engulf your body.
Jesebel: “Oooh… you pitiful little thing… you did teach me well…”
Shenvallei D’ansille: Hang on a sec though.
Shenvallei D’ansille: I have gloves of flame absorption.
Shenvallei D’ansille: 40 pts/day

Shenvallei D’ansille: Therefore if they work.
Why that you do!
Jesebel: You aren’t almost dead!
Shenvallei D’ansille: I rise from the flames unscorched and look at her with a baleful stare.
You stare at her like a pile of hay.
The sinkers are disheveled…but manage to volley again.
Shenvallei D’ansille
Shenvallei D’ansille: Target – Jesebel
Shenvallei D’ansille: Mechanism – Scorching ray
Shenvallei D’ansille: Spell [Scorching Ray] → Ranged touch attack deals 4d6 fire damage, 1 ray/four levels (max 3).
Shenvallei D’ansille: [1d6 = 4]
Shenvallei D’ansille: level 10 thats 2 rays
Shenvallei D’ansille: Ranged touch attack (Attack 1) [1d20
8 = 28]
Shenvallei D’ansille: Ranged touch attack (Attack 1) [CRITICAL THREAT]
Shenvallei D’ansille: Ranged touch attack (Attack 1) [CONFIRM] [1d20+8 = 26]
Shenvallei D’ansille: Ranged touch attack (Attack 1) [1d20+8 = 11]
Shenvallei D’ansille: [4d6 = 10]
GM: Both hit.
Shenvallei D’ansille: [4d6 = 21]
Jesebel looks scorched… but the flames, after they’ve had their way with her, seem to nestle in her hair, resting there.
GM: They are in charging distance, Alusair.
Alusair: rly?
Alusair: Range?
Alusair: sec.
Alusair: god it sucks having no phb
Alusair: brb

Alex: sry
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): alex, my roll of 3 hit?
Alex: More or less.
Alex: I think she let it hit her.
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): crazy bitch
Alusair: hi, range??
Alex: Given your predilictions to setting her on fire, I think it’s what she expects from you, Nick.
GM: Charging range.
GM: or to Jesebel?
Alusair: i’m not charging anything you silly sod
GM: What do you want range to?
Alusair: incoming troops
GM: w/e… 30 ft?

Alusair: whoa, srsly?
Alusair: k
Alusair: W/e
Alusair: Start cutting my way in Jess’s direction
GM: Roll it
Alusair: Bastard Sword 1 (Attack 1) [1d2014 = 32]
Alusair: la?
GM: Hit.
GM: You take down an assailant!
GM: [3d20 = 52]
GM: [3d6 = 9]
Alusair: oh.. kay
Alusair: fine
Alusair: don’t let me do damage
GM: …
GM: Roll it
GM: :p
Alusair: Bastard Sword 1 (Damage) [1d1010 = 17]
GM: You take one down!
GM: :P
GM: However
GM: Three you don’t take down slam you with clubs
Alusair: oh.. right
They don’t quite scratch you, but it hurts.
GM: [2d20 = 21]
GM: [4d6 = 11]

Shenvallei – Jesebel points her finger at you mockingly, beckoningly, and two rays lance forward, one striking you square in your chest, burning. The other scorches the man next to you.
Your gloves become uncomfortably warm, and you feel the spell get through.
GM: More soldiers fall, on both sides.
Shenvallei D’ansille
Shenvallei D’ansille: Target Jesebel
Shenvallei D’ansille: Spell [Dispel Magic] → Cancels magical spells and effects.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Targeted dispel.
Shenvallei D’ansille: No idea if she has any magical auras up but I get a check to dispel all of them.
Shenvallei D’ansille: [1d6 = 4]
Shenvallei D’ansille: casts as a level 10
GM: Sure…make the check
Shenvallei D’ansille: how many total I roll d20 for each one
GM: Roll 5
Shenvallei D’ansille: [5d20+10 = 53]

Shenvallei D’ansille: 10 to each not sure how many go thru
GM: Your spell goes off.
Next round you’ll get to Jesebel, Alusair.
Alusair: Bastard Sword +1 (Attack 1) [1d20
14 = 22]
Alusair: Bastard Sword 1 (Damage) [1d1010 = 18]
Another dead bastard.
GM: [3d20 = 7]
GM: [5d20 = 67]
Shenvallei – Your disguise and your mage armor dissapate from you, leaving you feel somewhat defenseless..
Shenvallei D’ansille
Shenvallei D’ansille: She is mirroring my spells.
Combat continues around you… there are three remaining Sinkers.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Spell [Magic Missile] → 1d4+1 damage; 1 missile per two levels above 1st (max 5).
Shenvallei D’ansille: [1d6 = 6]
Shenvallei D’ansille: level 12
Shenvallei D’ansille: [5d4
5 = 17]
GM: Jesebel is knocked back from the impact.

Alusair: ya?
Alusair: is me?
Alusair: attacks are at -5 kkthx
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Finish her Alusair!”
GM: da
Alusair: Bastard Sword 1 (Attack 1) [1d2014 = 33]
Alusair: Bastard Sword 1 (Attack 1) [CRITICAL THREAT]
Alusair: Bastard Sword +1 (Attack 2) [1d20
9 = 11]
Alusair: Bastard Sword 1 (Attack 1) [CONFIRM] [1d2014 = 25]
That’s a crit.
Alusair: srsly?
Second hit doesn’t.
Alusair: is crit?
Alusair: you mean it?
Alusair: is like christmas come early
GM: LoL…
GM: Rly?
GM: Yes, crit.
Alusair: you really want me to roll?
Alusair: :P
Shenvallei D’ansille: dew eet!
GM: Yes, I do
Alusair: [2d10+40 = 47]
Jesebel looks at you in shock, your sword buried up to her heart.
Shenvallei D’ansille:YES!”
Jesebel goes to say something, but blood spills out of her mouth, and she collapses to her knees.
Alex: brbsec

Alusair sinks down with her and kisses her, her interest in the surrounding battle largely dissipated.
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): epic strike Morgan
Kiergath (Alusair): No idea it’d work. If I drop attack bonus for power attack, it usually bites me in the ass.
Kiergath (Alusair): especially on a first swing when I don’t even have any idea of the AC.

Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): hopefully my dispel took down some of her defenses. Will have to ask alex later.
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): afk morte

Alex: sry
Kiergath (Alusair): eyup.. nick pinged to come back.

The Battle dies down, and eventually you are both surrounded by Black Armored Figures.
Kiergath (Alusair): Is nickstill here? He just DC’d from xfire..
Alex: idk
‘Nick’ disconnected
Kiergath (Alusair): guess not!
Alex: brbsec
‘Nick’ connected
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): sorry lagged out
Kiergath (Alusair): we accept your meager apologies.
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): did I miss anything?
Kiergath (Alusair): uh… the DM said something

Alusair: ahem.. my best DM voice…
Alusair: pretty much it
Alex: Yep
You are, by and large, left alone by the figures.
Shenvallei D’ansille: I will walk over to Alusair assuming she is still standing over Jesebel.
Alusair: standing? No sir, haven’t been standing for awhile
Alusair: Reading comprehension!
Shenvallei D’ansille: Kneeling?

Alusair: Eyup, pry cradling the body.
Shenvallei D’ansille: I stand there silent.
Eventually the soldiers disperse.
Leaving the two of you so terribly alone.
A lone, chill wind drifts across the battlefield, carrying with it the sweet smell of blood, gently tossing tufsts of Jesebel’s hair, so it frames her face in an angellic manner.
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Are you taking in memories, or trying to forget them?”
Alusair: “Maybe I’m doing both..”
Shenvallei D’ansille: I sit and take in the breeze.
Alusair lays the body on the ground and stands up, looking around for the surviving sinkers.
There are three sinkers, sitting against each other. One of them was the captain from earlier.
GM: The rest seem rather dead.

Alusair: “Jess’s body has to come with us, I’ll not see them get ahold of it and bring it back to life.”
Alusair: “Doing this once was enough.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “I agree, Id like to remove any magics from her first though.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: Spell [Detect Magic] → Detects spells and magic items within 60 ft.
Shenvallei D’ansille: Skill [Search] [1d20+7 = 22]
You don’t see any magic on her.
GM: Aside from a spellbook.
Shenvallei D’ansille: I look at it, is it the one I gave her that we practiced from?
GM: Yes.
Shenvallei D’ansille looks away for a moment with eyes welled up before gritting his teeth and shaking his head.
Shenvallei D’ansille: I take the spellbook and step away.

Alusair: Pick up the body and head for the portal and the three sinkers.
Shenvallei D’ansille: follow.
GM: You do so.
You emerge in a jungle of sorts – almost tropical, with dense forests. There are a myriad of archers with thier weapons trained on the portal. They relax when the commander waves them down. You find yourself stepping into an outpost in the middle of the jungle. It seems fairly comfortable, with tents everywhere inside the stone walls.
Alusair: “. . .I guess I’m not getting back to the Cage just yet.. ah well.”
Alusair: “Well chief, where are we?”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “I have no idea.”

Shenvallei D’ansille: “Where are we commander?”
“Home. This is a nameless forest on some worthless prime world… it was getting too lawful, and we had to balance it out, so we came here. We haven’t run into any locals worth talking to.”
Alusair: “No gnomes, I hope.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Alusair and I have some business to finish and then we will rest. If you need anything ask.”
GM: “Haven’t seen any myself, no. Why?”
Alusair blinks at Shen
Alusair: “Just reminds me of a place I was once..”
“There’s a settlement of dwarves in a nearby mountain.”

Shenvallei D’ansille: “What is your intention for her final rest?”
Alusair: “I’ll let you know when it comes to me, until then she can just stay in a bag.”
Shenvallei D’ansille nods then looks for a spot to set up a temporary camp
You are provided a tent, as fitting your refugee status.

Shenvallei D’ansille: Set up, then rest.
GM: you rest
Shenvallei D’ansille: Resetting Wizard Powers
Alusair: mmm…. a tent
Alusair: joy
Shenvallei D’ansille: “I do not snore if that is your concern.”
GM: You are provided some bedding, as well.
Shenvallei D’ansille: “Besides, I feel like my old self again.”
Alusair: “Snoring? Sure.. go ahead.”
Alusair curls up in a ball and sleeps.
Shenvallei D’ansille: I meditate and read till Alusair wakes up.
Shenvallei D’ansille: specifically
Shenvallei D’ansille: I read Jesebel’s spellbook.
GM: You do.
GM: It brings back some heady memories.
However, it simply has all of your spells in it.
Shenvallei D’ansille sighs longing for a bottle of port.
Shenvallei D’ansille: I tuck the book away.

Alusair: When I come to, look for the sinker.. Jor’un, was it?
GM: Yes.
GM: You find him tending to the wounded, again.
Alusair: Give him a hand, for awhile.. at least stabilize anyone who’s in danger of bleeding out.
You stabilize the bleeders, and he thanks you greatly.
Jor’un: “Well that was close… I am indebted to you for your diplomatic action, saving all of us who could be saved.”

Alusair: “And getting another… what.. how many killed holding the portal?”
“They went of their own free will… you are not to blame.”
Alusair: “Still none too pleasant to witness. Still, beat the piss out of their lot anyway.”
Alusair: “Unfortunately, Shen needs to go back there and I guess I have to go with him.”
“I suppose this is not the most habitable place on earth…”
Jor’un: *the planes.
Alex: Sry, Earther habit
Alusair: “And he was sent to find something there that we have, unfortunately, still not found.”
Jor’un: “Ah, yes, I believe you mentioned it previously…”
Alusair: “The familiar of a mage.. Galen, I think the name was?”

Jor’un: “Something to that extent, yes.”
Shenvallei D’ansille exits the tent and begins packing up.
You pack.
Jor’un: “If you need to return, you may use our portal.”
Alusair: “It would be appreciated.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: I walk over to Alusair and Jor’un.
Alusair: “How do we open it from that side, though?”
Jor’un: “To get back to Sigil?”
Jor’un: “Or to come here?”
Alusair: “Either.”

Jor’un hands you a machete. “Here.” He then hands you a platinum ingot. “Sigil.”
Alusair: “Much obliged.”
Jor’un: “Anything for you, Champion.”
Alusair: “Shen, it appears we can head back for your little mission whenever you’re ready.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: “I am packed and ready. Are there any supplies here you want to aquire here before we depart?”
Alusair: “Nothing that I can think of.”

Shenvallei D’ansille: “Then let us go. Be well Jor’un. I hope your travels go well.”
Alusair: “I suspect we’ll meet again..”
Jor’un: “Meryt will it.”
Shenvallei D’ansille: Head for the portal
Alusair: follow
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): good pausing point?
Kiergath (Alusair): most excellent.
I think so.

Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): awesome session all.
Kiergath (Alusair): bite me.
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): why
Alex: I liked it

Kiergath (Alusair): oh, me too.
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): curious did my dispel do anything useful there? Or will it inhibit the game if I know.
Alex: That would be telling you information you couldn’t possibly know :P
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): np thats why I asked
Nick (Shenvallei D’ansille): I suppose I should clear my desk of the beer cans/bottles and the jug of whiskey.
Alex: Probably.
Alusair: righto. I’m out, gents.
Kiergath: Night!
‘Kiergath’ disconnected

The Prime Feudal Army rallies with support from the other towns and assaults the Doomguard Fortress, utterly destroying the gatehouse in one blow, directly after Shenvallei was showing off. The fortress falls apart around their ears, while they’re still inside. The party sallies forth to negotiate with the attackers. They then negotiate the release of the remaining 1,500 Doomguard. They are marched to the portal leaving the island. They launch an assault when they reach the portal, and Alusair drives her sword through Jesebel’s heart. They are then rescued and taken off-plane, only to return the next day.

Return to Gaming Sessions

Session Forty

Planescape Campaign RaseCidraen Kiergath